Running for Office

Are you thinking about running for office as a Libertarian? If so, there are a few things you have to know. The ballot access laws are a little different for minor parties than major parties. In Pennsylvania we are excluded from the primary system, we nominate our candidates by caucusing. Honestly most Libertarians prefer caucusing because it cost the tax payer zero dollars.

If you wish to run for office in York County you must seek the endorsement of the County party. If you are thinking about running for a State-wide position, then you must seek the endorsement of the party at our annual Convention.

The next step is collecting signatures to get on the ballot. Our elections committee will help you getting the paperwork completed properly and filed on time.

Please only use the files we provide. Sometimes staff at the elections offices hand out forms meant for the major parties or don not have the minor party forms readily available. It is also important to note that the law is written that the "Nomination Paper MINOR POLITICAL PARTY " must be printed on 8.5" x 14" legal sized paper, front and back, top to bottom. Where as the major parties can use standard sized paper.

To sum up the process;

1.  If you have not already, register as a Libertarian

2.  Contact us and seek the endorsement of the York County Party

3.  Work with the elections committee 

4.  Collect signatures

5.  Get on the ballot